Thursday 1 March 2012

Tea Brack

I've never baked a Tea Brack but it's really very similar to a tea/fruit loaf which I have baked many times. This traditional Irish cake is normally baked at Halloween and the Irish word 'breac' means speckled, which refers to all the fruit. This delicious tea-time treat is moist and full of flavour, the orange liqueur really adds to that. You can't beat a slice of buttered brack with a hot cup of tea!

Tea Brack

Serves 8-10

Ingredients
300ml hot tea (use 2 normal teabags and 1 Earl Grey)
180g sultanas
180g raisins
100g dried stone dates, chopped (I used currants)
1 eggs, beaten
225g self-raising flour
150g light brown sugar
1-2 tbsp Cointreau or other orange-flavoured liqueur
2 tsp mixed spice
2 tbsp honey, to glaze

The day before you want to make the brack, make the tea and leave to infuse for 15 minutes.

Place the sultanas, raisins, chopped dates (currants) into a bowl. Remove the teabags from the pot and pour the hot tea over the fruit. Cover and leave overnight to soak.

The next day, preheat the oven to 180oC/fan 160oc/gas mark 4. Line a 2lb loaf tin with parchment paper.

Add the beaten egg to the fruit mix along with the flour, sugar, Cointreau and mixed spice. Mix well with a wooden spoon.

Spoon the batter into the prepared tin and bake for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours, or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Leave to rest in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool. While the cake is still quite warm, brush the top with the honey.

9 comments:

Maggie said...

I love Brack Bread, it never lets you down. It keeps, gets lovely and sticky and it freezes well too.

Kelly-Jane said...

I love tea brack too, never made it with orange liqueur - that sounds lovely.

Lisa said...

Looks FAB. I'm going to have to stock up on dried fruit next time I go shopping!

The Caked Crusader said...

ooh - yes please! Cut and butter me a nice thick slice!

Lauralovescakes said...

This looks delicious...especially spread with butter. I really love a good tea loaf so I imagine this tastes lovely, it looks really moist too!

Hello said...

Looks delicious, especially with the butter over a slice.
I've never tried or made a tea brack but have quite a few recipes for loaf bakes, will try.

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a lovely tea cake. This is my first visit to your blog, so I took some time to browse through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Nic said...

Nice looking sticky loaf, and love that you have the addition of orange liqueur in there!

Suzie Hull said...

I can't imagine how the Irish thought of putting tea in their fruit loaf??? It shouldn't work but it does. Lovely recipe and great site.