Thursday 12 January 2012

Linguine Amatriciana

I've decided that this year I will be making more of an effort to make and try new recipes. It's so easy to stick with the same recipes week in week out and you end up getting bored of eating the same dishes. I came across this recipe on Nigella's site and after reading her review I had to make it. This recipe is from Anna Conte's cookbook, Cooking with Coco, which I plan on purchasing very soon after reading Nigella's review on it. In Nigella's words there isn't a recipe in this book she wouldn't want to try. I love Italian food and pasta has a regular presence in my cooking, which makes this book very appealing. This is a simple recipe but one that is really satisfying and delish! I didn't have any Bucatini pasta which is the type used in this recipe but I will be buying some on my next shopping trip to use next time.


Linguine Amatriciana

Serves 4-5

Ingredients
tbsp olive oil
350g unsmoked pancetta cubes
1 onion, very finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 dried chilli, seeded and finely chopped
100ml red wine
450g tin chopped tomatoes
400g linguine
6 tbsp grated mature pecorino
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, to serve

Heat the oil in a frying pan large enough to contain the cooked pasta later and, when hot, throw in the pancetta and fry until crisp. Remove it to a plate with a fish slice.

Now add the onion to the pan, season with a pinch of salt and saute for 7-8 minutes, until soft. Add the garlic and chilli and cook for a further minute, stirring frequently. Splash with the wine and let it bubble away to reduce by half. Pour in the chopped tomatoes and cook on moderate heat for about 20-25 minutes.

Taste and add more salt if necessary and black pepper if you want, although the sauce is already quite hot due to the chilli.

Cook the linguine in plenty of salted water as usual.

Drain thoroughly.

Slide the pasta into the frying pan, add the pancetta, and shower with percorino. Stir-fry for about 2 minutes, turning the linguine over and over with 2 forks.

Serve straight from the pan, with Parmesan handed round.

9 comments:

The Caked Crusader said...

Oh yum - it's that time of year when a good hearty bowl of pasta is just what the doctor ordered (well, maybe not, but it tastes soooo good!)

Lucie said...

Fabulous pasta dish Maria - this is one of my favourites. I use a Mary Berry recipe and it has peppers in it - but having seen the price of peppers today I think i'll make this one! (Isn't food getting sooo pricey, I don't normally care or notice, so it must be bad!)

Gloria Baker said...

mmmmmm Yummy!!! MarĂ­a!! love it!

Anonymous said...

Mm it looks and sounds lovely! I would def make that misus the pancetta (I'm a veggie!) x

Brownieville Girl said...

Looks fantastic - and I love your resolution, think I'll take it on board too -it's so easy to get stuck in a cooking rut.

Happy New Year.

Caroline said...

Looks fab - I love a big bowl of pasta (who doesn't?!) and this looks like it would hit the spot on a cold day.

I mustn't search for that book though - it sounds great but I don't need another recipe book.....

Good resolution to cook more different meals - I could really do with joining you on that one!

Anna's kitchen table said...

Maria, I think my family would love this!
I'm tempted to get the book now, too!

Nickki said...

Looks delicious Maria - I'll have to try this soon. I have this book and it's lovely but I haven't made anything from it yet. I also plan to try a lot more new recipes this year, it's so easy to get stuck in a rut and make the same things over & over again. So I've been reading through my cookbooks and bookmarking recipes like mad
:-) xx

Maggie said...

This is a fabulous recipe Maria. Great for these cold, grey days we are having.